Living in East Gippsland Shire is a dream in so many ways, but when you need legal help, it can prove to be challenging. Dealing with these issues in metropolitan areas is far less stressful; there are more support services and more people to help you understand your rights in a legal dispute. In towns like Orbost, however, assistance can be scarce.
That’s why Gippsland Community Legal Service is here to help residents of Orbost who need our help the most. We offer top notch legal advice for Orbost and other East Gippsland Shire residents, completely free of charge.
Our services cover with a range of legal issues: from family violence to advice about wills and powers of attorney. In this post, we outline how the team at GCLS can help you resolve your legal problem.
Nobody deserves to endure an environment where family violence has occurred or recurs. Sadly, a high number of Orbost residents have required help from GCLS with family violence..
Family violence in East Gippsland Shire is a serious problem. In fact, the region has the highest rate of family violence incidents per capita in Victoria.
While the Victorian average of family violence incidents is 1364.7 per 100,000 people, in East Gippsland Shire, the rate of family violence incidents is 3400 per 100,000 people – two and a half times the Victorian average.
If you’re experiencing family violence in Orbost, please know that you are not alone and that others in your shoes have resolved their situation by contacting GCLS for support. Some of the ways that we can help you include:
- Intervention order advice before Court
- Duty lawyers who can provide advice, representation and referrals on the day you have to attend Court
- In some cases, assistance for respondents to intervention orders
- Help with legal problems beyond intervention orders, including tenancy, parenting plans, debts, fines, infringements and more.
Wills and powers of attorney
Though it’s not pleasant to talk about or go through, life after death is a reality and begs an important question surrounding the law. Wills and powers of attorney are all areas of the law that Orbost residents have needed help with in the past, and GCLS has provided professional legal assistance to guide them through this challenging time.
If you’re preparing or thinking about preparing a will or powers of attorney, the team at Gippsland Community Legal Service are here to help.
Here are some of the ways in which GCLS can assist Orbost residents when dealing with wills, probate and power of attorney:
- Helping to finalise wills
- Identifying estate assets and beneficiaries
- Distributing assets and inheritances
- Negotiating disputes between family members
- Providing legal advice around insolvent estates
GCLS can assist Orbost residents when dealing with wills and powers of attorney through high quality legal advice tailored to your individual situation.
Having a safe, stable home to live in is one of the most important aspects of a person’s wellbeing. So, if you’ve been involved in a tenancy dispute, we understand the pressure you’re experiencing.
It’s greatly unsettling to be faced with the possibility of losing the place you live in. That’s why GCLS offer free legal help to Orbost residents who are dealing with tenancy disputes.
Whether you’re arguing with a rental provider about maintenance that should have been done a long time ago, or you’ve been handed a notice to vacate, GCLS are here to offer legal assistance.
On top of this, if your tenancy is being affected by another area of the law, such as family violence or financial abuse from a partner, GCLS can also help make sense of issues like these. The team at GCLS are determined to help your legal situation from the source, addressing all contributing factors.
Gippsland Community Legal Service can help Orbost residents solve a range of legal issues arising from tenancy, including:
- Financial difficulties and struggling to pay rent
- Eviction or challenging a notice to vacate
- Having a dispute with your property manager or rental provider about repairs and maintenance of rental properties
- Negotiating and dealing with a government or community housing agency about tenancy
- Seeking compensation from rental providers who breach their duties under the rental agreement
- Applying to and attending VCAT for your tenancy issues
Legal issues pertaining to families, such as separation, custody and child contact, can be incredibly stressful for everyone involved. The breakdown of one’s family involves not only parents, but children, grandparents and friends too.
In Orbost and surrounds, family law matters are often a result of other complications; family violence, financial abuse and mental health problems can all contribute to other family law issues such as separation.
GCLS care about your situation and provide legal advice on navigating family law and separation. The team at GCLS help residents of Orbost with legal issues like custody battles, property settlement and divorce. Australia’s family law system encourages families to agree on arrangements without going to court and GCLS are determined to help you do this. Going to court is costly and sometimes unproductive for both parties involved.
Gippsland Community Legal Service can provide assistance to Orbost residents who:
- Want to make a property settlement after separation or divorce
- Want to make arrangements for the parenting of their children
- Need to apply to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for financial and/or parenting orders.
- Want to apply for a divorce
- Need help with other legal issues as part of relationship breakdown, including family violence, debts and financial stresses and tenancy issues.
Get in touch with GCLS today
Gippsland Community Legal Service have helped many Orbost residents with legal issues other than the ones mentioned here. Whatever your concern, you’ll find help through GCLS, gaining experienced legal advice, completely free of charge. Get in touch with the friendly team at GCLS and help us to help you today.