patrick mcgregor H5X4UIruajU unsplash

When you need legal advice in Moe, it can be difficult to know where to get help. Gippsland Community Legal Service (GCLS) have the expertise and experience to provide advice on a broad range of matters.

Whether you need urgent help with a family violence issue or help understanding or challenging a fine, GCLS offer the best quality free legal advice for all their Moe and other Gippsland residents. Here’s how the legal team at Gippsland Community Legal Service can help you when you need free legal advice.

Family violence

Domestic or family violence is a serious problem in the town of Moe. In fact, the Latrobe Valley region has the third highest rate of domestic violence per capita in Victoria, with nearby East Gippsland Shire at number one.

We take family violence very seriously, prioritising cases of family violence in the Moe region. If you live in Moe and have experienced family violence, please don’t hesitate to contact the team at Gippsland Community Legal Service for free legal help. GCLS helps to make sense of the legal problems that can arise when family violence occurs. GCLS also has a strong relationship with family violence support services and can help link you in with them to ensure that you are also receiving as much non-legal support as you need.

Family violence assistance services provided by GCLS in Moe include:

  • Intervention order advice before Court
  • Duty lawyers who can provide advice, representation and referrals on the day you have to attend Court
  • In some cases, assistance for respondents to intervention orders
  • Help with legal problems beyond intervention orders, including tenancy, parenting plans, debts, fines, infringements and more.

Civil property disputes

Receiving a fine can be a confusing and stressful time. It could have been wrongly issued, unjust or you might not have enough money to pay it.

If you’ve recently received a fine in the Moe area and need legal advice on disputing it, GCLS are here to help. Advice, negotiations and representation are all services that Gippsland Community Legal Service can provide, free of charge, in the Moe region.

GCLS care about helping with fines that have been issued to Moe and Gippsland residents. Services offered include:

  • Helping you nominate the person who incurred the fine or infringement if it is currently in your name
  • Requesting a review of the fines or infringements
  • Negotiating a payment plan
  • Helping you access the Work and Development Permit Scheme, which allows some fines or infringements to be worked off through activities or treatment
  • Helping you access the Family Violence Scheme, which allows some fines to be withdrawn where family violence substantially contributed to the fine or infringement being incurred
  • Helping you choose to take the fine or infringement to Court if you want to contest it.


Gippsland Community Legal Service understands that renting disputes are another problem in Moe. GCLS help Moe residents understand their rights as tenants, increasing awareness about law changes and helping you with a myriad of different issues.

Tenancy issues are often impacted by other things that might be occurring in your life, such as financial stress, domestic violence, separation and others. GCLS looks to provide legal advice, keeping in mind all the factors in your life, and offering the best solution for your personal situation.

Gippsland Community Legal Service can help you solve a range of legal issues arising from tenancy, including:

  • Financial difficulties and struggling to pay rent
  • Eviction or challenging a notice to vacate
  • Having a dispute with your property manager or rental provider about repairs and maintenance of rental properties
  • Negotiating and dealing with a government or community housing agency about tenancy
  • Seeking compensation from rental providers who breach their duties under the rental agreement
  • Applying to and attending VCAT for your tenancy issues

If you’ve been affected by any of the problems mentioned above, or something different, GCLS is just a phone call away. Get completely free legal advice from local lawyers in Moe who care about helping you.

Family law

Family legal issues can be a particularly challenging time for parents in Moe. Stress levels increase due to a number of problems, like the splitting up of your family, separation and divorce, custody disagreements and more.

Gippsland Community Legal Service is here to help you navigate these complex, stressful issues and offer a solution. Residents of Moe who are experiencing these issues can access our completely free legal advice by getting in touch as soon as possible.

Some of the family law issues with which GCLS aims to assist you include:

  • Making a property settlement after separation or divorce
  • Making arrangements for the parenting of their children
  • Applying to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for financial and/or parenting orders.
  • Applying for a divorce
  • Other legal issues as part of relationship breakdown, including family violence, debts and financial stresses and tenancy issues.

Family law issues only become more difficult to resolve as time goes on. Please contact the team at GCLS to speak to a lawyer immediately.

Mental health

Mental health issues affect many residents of Moe and the greater Gippsland area. If you’re struggling with mental health issues which have impacted an area of law, GCLS can help. This includes:

  • Advance statements
  • Guardianship and administration
  • Representation at the Mental Health Tribunal

Many other areas of law

Gippsland Community Legal Service have helped plenty of Moe residents with legal issues other than the ones mentioned here. Whatever your concern, you’ll find help through GCLS, offering trusted legal advice, completely free of charge. Get in touch with the friendly team at GCLS and help us to help you today.

Gippsland Community Legal Service