iStock 1359945978 Korumburra

Finding legal help in the town of Korumburra can be difficult if you’re not experienced with legal processes, or if you can’t afford to pay the high rates of a law firm. That’s why the team here at Gippsland Community Legal Service are pleased to offer our assistance. We specialise in high quality legal advice, completely free of charge for Korumburra and other Gippsland residents.

GCLS offers legal advice on many common areas of law. Family violence, parenting plans and separation are all prevalent issues in Korumburra and the team at GCLS can help you navigate them. The legal team at GCLS are highly trained and can also link you with non-legal support services in order to provide comprehensive assistance – not just within the realm of law.

In this article, we outline the different issues which we can help Korumburra locals with.

Family violence

Sadly, family violence is a prevalent issue in Korumburra and the greater South Gippsland Shire. If you’re currently experiencing family violence in Korumburra, contact us immediately to seek free legal help and gain access to other support services which can make a lifechanging difference.

In South Gippsland Shire, the rate of family violence incidents is 1775 per 100,000 people. This is higher the Victorian average rate of 1364.7 cases per 100,000 people. With this in mind, you can see why the team at GCLS take family violence extremely seriously.

GCLS helps to make sense of the legal problems that can arise when family violence occurs. We also have strong relationships with family violence support services. These, along with our legal advice, can help you overcome a family violence situation and improve your general welfare.

Family violence assistance services provided by GCLS in Korumburra include:

  • Intervention order advice before Court
  • Duty lawyers who can provide advice, representation and referrals on the day you have to attend Court
  • In some cases, assistance for respondents to intervention orders
  • Help with legal problems beyond intervention orders, including tenancy, parenting plans, debts, fines, infringements and more.

Family law - parenting plans

Parenting plans are another common concern for Korumburra residents. In fact, it’s the second-most common issue which GCLS provides assistance for, after family violence. You’re not alone if you’re feeling the strain of a dispute with your child’s other parent regarding custody and parenting plans.

Your child’s other parent may be being unreasonable when negotiating a parenting plan, or you may see them as a negligent, ineffective parent.

GCLS can help Korumburra locals to negotiate fair parenting plans and come to civil agreements. With all family law issues, GCLS and the Australian legal system encourages parents to agree on parenting plans without going to court: going to court is emotionally and financially draining.

Some of the issues that GCLS can help you with when organising parenting plans include:

  • Making arrangements for the parenting of their children
  • Applying to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for financial and/or parenting orders.

Family law - separation

Separation is particularly stressful because it opens up the door to myriad other issues and legal questions, such as property settlement, parenting plans and others. GCLS can provide completely free legal advice for Korumburra residents going through separation or divorce.

Studies also show that separation is caused by certain other factors, such as family violence, financial abuse and others. GCLS aims to help residents of Korumburra with all of these issues. Those who are experiencing these issues can access our completely free legal advice by getting in touch as soon as possible.

Some of the separation issues with which GCLS aims to assist you include:

  • Making a property settlement after separation or divorce
  • Applying for a divorce
  • Other legal issues as part of relationship breakdown, including family violence, debts and financial stresses and tenancy issues.

Disputing or negotiating fines

While fines are an important part of our legal system, they can sometimes be wrongly or unjustly issued. In this case, you can disput a fine – but you’ll need top quality legal aid to help you do it.

If you’ve recently received a fine in Korumburra and need legal advice on disputing it, GCLS are here to help. Advice, negotiations and representation are all services that Gippsland Community Legal Service can provide, free of charge, for Korumburra residents.

GCLS care about helping with fines that have been issued to Korumburra and South Gippsland Shire residents. Services offered include:

  • Helping you nominate the person who incurred the fine or infringement if it is currently in your name
  • Requesting a review of the fines or infringements
  • Negotiating a payment plan
  • Helping you access the Work and Development Permit Scheme, which allows some fines or infringements to be worked off through activities or treatment
  • Helping you access the Family Violence Scheme, which allows some fines to be withdrawn where family violence substantially contributed to the fine or infringement being incurred
  • Helping you choose to take the fine or infringement to Court if you want to contest it.

Tenancy disputes

One of the most important parts of a person’s welfare is having a roof over their head. That’s why it’s so stressful to experience tenancy disputes which can threaten your rights as a renter and, in the worst case scenario, lead to homelessness.

GCLS can help Korumburra residents to fight tenancy disputes. Some common issues for which they can provide assistance include:

  • Financial difficulties and struggling to pay rent
  • Eviction or challenging a notice to vacate
  • Having a dispute with your property manager or rental provider about repairs and maintenance of rental properties
  • Negotiating and dealing with a government or community housing agency about tenancy
  • Seeking compensation from rental providers who breach their duties under the rental agreement
  • Applying to and attending VCAT for your tenancy issues

Contact GCLS today

Gippsland Community Legal Service helps Korumburra locals with many more issues than just the ones mentioned here. Whatever your concern, you’ll find help through GCLS, offering experienced legal advice, completely free of charge. Get in touch with the friendly team at GCLS and help us to help you today.

Gippsland Community Legal Service