shutterstock 1739519774 Churchill

When you need good quality legal help in Churchill, it can be hard to know who to turn to. The strain is increased when you’re under financial pressure and can’t afford to consult a private lawyer.

That’s why, if you’re in search of legal assistance in Churchill and the Latrobe Valley region, Gippsland Community Legal Service are here to help. They offer high quality legal advice, free of charge, for Churchill and Gippsland residents.

GCLS have helped Churchill residents overcome legal issues such as family violence, parenting plans and property settlements. If you need help with a legal issue of any kind, don’t hesitate to consult the team at GCLS.

Here are some of the issues with which GCLS can help Churchill residents:

Family violence

Sadly, family violence is a prevalent issue in Churchill and the Latrobe Valley region.

Latrobe has the third highest rate of family violence per capita in Victoria, with nearby East Gippsland Shire at number one.

The Victorian average of family violence incidents is 1364.7 per 100,000 people. In Latrobe, however, the rate is more than double this amount, at 3305.9 incidents of family violence per 100,000 people.

With this in mind, the team at Gippsland Community Legal Service take family violence in Churchill incredibly seriously. If you’ve been affected by family violence in Churchill, there are steps you can take to live in a safe environment, and the team at GCLS are here to help you do this. Some of the services that GCLS offer include:

  • Intervention order advice before Court
  • Duty lawyers who can provide advice, representation and referrals on the day you have to attend Court
  • In some cases, assistance for respondents to intervention orders
  • Help with legal problems beyond intervention orders, including tenancy, parenting plans, debts, fines, infringements and more.

Family law and parenting plans

GCLS understands the stress involved when dealing with family legal issues such as parenting plans and property settlement. Not only can this be an emotionally challenging time for parents, but also children, which only increases the stress you experience.

GCLS are here to assist Churchill families who are experiencing family breakdown and need help to agree on parenting plans.

Free legal advice is offered to Churchill residents who:

  • Want to make arrangements for the parenting of their children
  • Need to apply to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia for financial and/or parenting orders.

Australia’s family law system encourages families to agree on parenting plans without taking the matter to court. GCLS are determined to help you do this, avoiding the financial and mental burden of going to court.

Family law and property settlement

Not only are family legal issues challenging due to the emotional pressure, but they often involve financial concerns too. Property settlement is one aspect of family law with which Churchill residents may require legal assistance.

Like other areas of family law, parties are encourage to agree on property settlements without taking the matter to court. GCLS can help you understand how to reach a fair agreement regarding property settlement after separation or divorce.

Contact the team at GCLS for free legal advice on property settlements. The aim of the team at GCLS is for both parties to come to a civil, fair agreement.

Fines and infringements

If you’re a Churchill resident and you’ve received a fine, GCLS may be able to help. There are times where a fine could have been wrongly issued or unjust. On top of this, you may be struggling financially and, therefore, unable to pay a fine that you’ve recently received.

GCLS are committed to helping you with legal advice in order to refute a fine that has been wrongly issued. Gippsland Community Legal Service can provide advice, negotiations and representation, free of charge, to Churchill residents.

Services offered include:

  • Helping you nominate the person who incurred the fine or infringement if it is currently in your name
  • Requesting a review of the fines or infringements
  • Negotiating a payment plan
  • Helping you access the Work and Development Permit Scheme, which allows some fines or infringements to be worked off through activities or treatment
  • Helping you access the Family Violence Scheme, which allows some fines to be withdrawn where family violence substantially contributed to the fine or infringement being incurred
  • Helping you choose to take the fine or infringement to Court if you want to contest it.


Safe and secure tenancy is one of the most important aspects of one’s life. When that safety and security is compromised, your personal wellbeing can be in serious jeopardy.

For this reason, GCLS prioritise issues relating to tenancy for Churchill and Gippsland residents. The team at GCLS understand that tenancy issues frequently arise from other serious legal problems such as family violence, separation and financial abuse.

If you’re experiencing any of these issues which are impacting your tenancy, the team at GCLS can offer free legal support to help you solve these problems.

Gippsland Community Legal Service can help Churchill residents solve a range of legal issues arising from tenancy, including:

  • Financial difficulties and struggling to pay rent
  • Eviction or challenging a notice to vacate
  • Having a dispute with your property manager or rental provider about repairs and maintenance of rental properties
  • Negotiating and dealing with a government or community housing agency about tenancy
  • Seeking compensation from rental providers who breach their duties under the rental agreement
  • Applying to and attending VCAT for your tenancy issues

Contact GCLS today

Gippsland Community Legal Service have helped many Churchill residents with legal issues other than the ones mentioned in this article. Whatever your concern, you’ll find help through GCLS, offering high quality legal advice, completely free of charge. Get in touch with the friendly team at GCLS and help us to help you today.

Gippsland Community Legal Service